As presented to MHI National Congress Workshop held April 28th, 2014
Comparison Study of a Santa Clarita, CA HUD homes. Santa Clarita is located in the Ca. Energy Commissions rank of 14 (16 being the harshest climate). It is a dry arid desert climate.
The 2012/2013 Modular Lifestyles brand of proven high performance energy efficient homes versus a 2001 Fleetwood brand of HUD home. The chart clearly shows the annual electrical cost each owner paid during the entire year. The savings from Modular Lifestyles highly insulated solar powered homes were substantial to the 2001 Fleetwood. The community owner received the extra kWh back into their master meter community. The 2001 Fleetwood HUD insulation standard for this home was based on HUD 1994 standards and it was R-11 (Blown cellulose) in attic, R- 11 Fiberglass in the 2”x 4” walls and R-20 Fiberglass in the raised floor. This home does not have A/C. The one exception Space 63 Modular Lifestyles home did not have Solar due to a 300 year Oak tree shadow cast across the roof however it does have A/C. Its cost was 1/2 as much as the 2001 Fleetwood home.
- Reduced Community Electrical Park Load
- Tenant savings remarkable
- The existing electrical infrastructure reduced impact
- A/C now available where none existed in a Dry Arid Climate
- Waiting list occur when new homes come into the community
- Electrical savings like this not offered in other housing choices.